Yield: one 9×13 pan
Home made pop tart squares use only 1/4 cup of sugar for the whole recipe. They freeze well and are a great addition to a school lunch
3 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
⅓ cup butter
½ cup milk
2 cups applesauce or other fruit puree
- Base and top: In a standing mixer add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and pieces one at a time. Let machine run until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs and milk. Let machine run until mixture comes together into a ball. Divide into two equal portions.
- In a piece of parchment roll out first piece of dough until it measures slightly larger than 9×13. Put parchment and pastry into pan. Use your fingers to bring the dough slightly up the sides.
- Spread fruit filling over bottom.
- Roll out second half the same way, place ontop of fruit filling and seal the edges with the bottom piece of pastry.
- Bake in 350F oven for around 40 to 45 minutes (30 minutes on convection) until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan by lifting out parchment, let cool, cut into squares.
Raspberry – Bring 3 cups frozen berries to simmer, blend with blender or immersion blender. Sweeten or not (I used a 4 berry blend and did not sweeten although I did strain the seeds out).
The first photo are some pop tarts made with leftover lemon curd that I had in the fridge.